"Pashedu,
an artist in the service of the Pharaoh",
Casa del Conte Verde, Rivoli, Italy
January 24th-March 30th 2014
Petrie
Fitzwilliam
Ashmolean
An exhibition with a full-scale reconstruction of the tomb of Pashedu, who once resided at Deir
el-Medina, and a set of contemporary art works, called "Pashedu un artista al servizio del Faraone,
L'arte egizia incontra l'arte contemporanea" [ Pashedu, an artist in the service of the Pharaoh. Egyptian
art encounters contemporary art ] is taking place at Casa del Conte Verde, di Rivoli Via Fratelli Piol 8,
10098 Rivoli (Torino) from 24 January 2014 - 30 March 2014 and is curated by Dr. Donatella Avanzo.

The exhibition offers a precise 1:1 scale reconstruction of the tomb of Pashedu, the original of which is in
the western necropolis of the village of Deir el-Medina. The copy, made with innovative technology,
patented by Gianni Moro, guarantees absolute accuracy in the rendering of minute details. It reproduces
the underground burial chamber, built to preserve the mummy of Pashedu, and the substructure,
culminating in the pyramid. Renato Ostorero is the author of the design.

The exhibition came from the Archaeological Museum "Eno Bellis" in Oderzo, Treviso, and has previously
appeared in exhibitions at the National Archaeological Museum of Aquileia and the Museo della
Centuriazione Romana in Borgoricco near Padua. The current exhibition at the Museo Casa del Conte  
Verde is accompanied by another art event - as indicated by the subtitle: Egyptian art encounters
contemporary art.




























Presenting Egyptian antiquities to the visitor nowadays can become a cultural event, that spans millennia.
The exhibits on display can originate in the far past while others could be created in more contemporary
times. To manifest this approach, the exhibition is accompanied by a large group of works by old and
modern artists and shows how the artefacts bridge the times. Among the exhibited pieces are Cleopatra,
a late Mannerist painting attributed to Francesco Salviati (1510-1563), late 19th century Ottocento con
Offerte al tempio, by Ludovico Raymond of Turin (1825-1898), and the female figure in the Pharaoh's
dream, by the sculptor Angelo Saglietti (Turin 1913-1979). These older examples are accompanied by
contemporary works - graphics, photographs, ceramics, paintings and mixed media by Silvana Alasia,
Candido Bergeretti Cavion, Tin Carena, Giuliana Cusino, Piero Della Betta, Silvia Gariglio, Nicoletta Nava,
Ludovico Raymond, Fabrizio Roccatello, Angelo Saglietti, Francesco Salviati, Giuseppe Tecco, Valeria
Tomasi, Massimo Voghera.

The exhibition is open from Tuesday to Sunday 10:00 to 13:00 / 15:00 to 7:00 p.m. Closed on Mondays.
Tickets cost: Adult 6.00 Euro / Discount : 4.00 Euro / School groups (min. 10 students) : 2.00 Euro

The exhibition is organized by the Department of Culture of the Municipality of Rivoli , Rivoli UNITRE
Seat with the support of GM Furnishings Gianni Moro, Comelec LTD Roberto Rubiola, Mrs. Laura Saglietti,
Aversa Gallery, City of Avigliana, Mr. James Lovera

With the collaboration of :
Prof. Alessandro Roccati - Academy of Sciences of Turin, Prof. Emmanuel Ciampini -
Ca 'Foscari University of Venice, Gian Giorgio Massara, Dr. Silvana Cincotti, Lorella
Colombino, Richard Cusino, Osvaldo Falesiedi, Dr. Roberto Fiore, and Nadia Hamid Haghighi,
John Hall, Livio Dry, isoTEST LTD

The information was translated and abbreviated from the Italian text by Paolo Nesta published at
http://www.comune.rivoli.to.it/interna.asp?idArea=230&idNews=2206&txt_ricerca=Pashedu

http://www.torinofree.it/201402192709/eventi/rivoli-pashedu-un-artista-al-servizio-del-faraone.html
The page was last modified on February 28th 2014.
Turin
Nicholson
KhM
Bristol
Back to
museums
Kingston
Lacy
Hrdlička
Counter
Here we must take a step back in time and
remember that the origins of the
Egyptian Museum in Turin were laid with the
purchase of the first object for its future collection
in Rome on behalf of Carlo Emanuele I in 1630 -
the Mensa Isiaca. This was a Roman production of
an altar table in the Egyptianising style for an Isis
temple cult outside of Egypt. Over a century later,
between 1757 and 1759, Carlo Emanuele III
instructed Vitaliano Donati to acquire objects from
Egypt that might explain the significance of the
table. The Museum was founded in 1824 with the
acquisition by King Carlo Felice of a large collection
of 5,268 objects assembled by Bernardino Drovetti,
who, following his service with Napoleon Bonaparte
went to Egypt to become the French Consul. In
1894 Ernesto Schiaparelli became the director of
the Museo Egizio. Schiaparelli went to Egypt to
acquire further antiquities and was excavating at
Deir el-Medina  between 1905 and 1909, where he
undertook the first scientific excavation of the
site. In the 1906 season Schiaparelli employed
more than 500 workers at the site. The northern
side of the valley was explored to virgin ground.
The most spectacular of the many finds was the
intact 18th dynasty tomb of the architect Kha and
his wife Meryt.
Tomb of Pashedu at Deir el-Medina
Photography © Soloegipto