The settlement of
Deir el-Medina
The village was inhabited by the community of workmen involved in the construction and
decoration of the royal tombs in both the Valley of the Kings and the Valley of the Queens.
Together with their wives and families the workmen occupied the neatly constructed houses
of mud brick and stone for some 450 years during Egypt's New Kingdom.
Sources:
1.Reeves, Nicholas: The complete Valley of the Kings : tombs and treasure of Egypt's greatest
pharaohs.
London : Thames and Hudson, 1996.
2.David, A. Rosalie: The pyramid builders of ancient Egypt : a modern investigation of Pharaoh's
workforce.
London : Routledge, 1986.
3. Černý, Jaroslav: Egypt from the death of Ramesses III to the end of the 21st dynasty.
Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 1965.
4. Pharaoh's workers : the villagers of Deir el-Medina / edited by Leonard H. Lesko
Ithaca : Cornell University Press, 1994.
5. Clayton, Peter A.: Chronicles of the Pharaohs : the reign-by-reign record of the rulers and
dynasties of ancient Egypt
London : Thames & Hudson, 1994.
6. James, T.G.H.: Pharaoh's people : scenes from life in Imperial Egypt
New York : Tauris Parke, 2003.
7. Strudwick, Nigel and Helen: Thebes in Egypt : a guide to the tombs and temples of ancient Luxor
London : British Museum Press, 1999.
8. Montserrat, Dominic and Meskell, Lynn: Mortuary archaeology and religious landscape at Graeco-
Roman Deir el-Medina. IN: JEA 83, p. 179-197.
9. Romer, John: Ancient lives : the story of the Pharaoh's tombmakers
London : Phoenix, 1984.
10. McDowell, A.G.: Village life in ancient Egypt : laundry lists and love songs
Oxford : Oxford University Press, 1999.
11. Černý, Jaroslav: A community of workmen at Thebes in the Ramesside period
Cairo : Institut Francais d'archeologie Orientale du Caire, 1973.
12. Ventura, Raphael: Living in a city of the dead : a selection of topographical and administrative
terms in the documents of the Theban necropolis
Freiburg (Schweiz) : Universitatsverlag, 1986.
13. Bomann, Ann H.: The private chapel in ancient Egypt : a study of the chapels in the workmen's
village at el Amarna with special reference to Deir el-Medina and other sites.
London : Kegan Paul International, 1991.
14. Théby : město bohů a faraónů = Thebes : city of gods and pharaohs / Jana Mynářová & Pavel
Onderka (eds.)
Praha : Národní Museum, 2007.
15. Brooker, M. L.: A new approach of identifying the function of the elevated beds at Deir el-
Medina. A thesis: The University of Birmingham, Master of Philosophy.
Birmingham : University of Birmingham, June 2009. 196 p.
16. Hobson, Christine: Exploring the world of the pharaohs
London : Thames and Hudson, 1990.
17.
http://www.oxfordhandbooks.com/view/10.1093/oxfordhb/9780199935413.001.0001/oxfordhb-
9780199935413-e-32?rskey=vK0AHG&result=1
The page was last modified on August the 19th 2016
The settlement was founded sometime early in the 18th dynasty, although by which king
remains uncertain. Many bricks in the settlement's enclosure wall were stamped with the
name of Thutmosis I (around 1524-1518 BC), who was the 1st pharaoh to be buried in the
Valley of the Kings. However the reverence given to the previous king, Amenhotep I
(1551-1524 BC) and his mother, Ahmose-Nefertari, indicates that they might have been
instrumental in setting up the royal workforce at Deir el-Medina.
We have little information on the earliest years of the community. Most of our knowledge about the
settlement is drawn from the extensive evidence dating to the 19th and 20th dynasties, when the village
almost doubled in size.
The first workforce was probably drawn from a number of places, possibly from other crews in the Theban
area employed on temple building projects.
The original town was enclosed within a thick mud-brick wall. As the first phase of the settlement's
buildings from the beginning of the 18th dynasty was destroyed by fire, little is known about the layout
of it. After the Amarna period, under the restoration of the king Horemheb (about 1321-1293 BC), the
village expanded. The damaged houses were restored and new ones were built.
Although the village was occupied for over four centuries, the evidence from excavations shows that the
general plan of
individual houses mostly follows the pattern established in the first phase of the
construction of the settlement during the 18th dynasty. Also the ground level remained unchanged, which
differs from other settlements, where successive generations built upon the remains of previous
occupations.
The village itself consisted of about 70
houses. They were divided by a main
street. It ran from north to south with
narrow houses on both sides of it.
Archaeological excavation suggested that
this street was covered over, making the
village one solid roofed community. Both
the floors of the houses and the central
street were found to be covered with
layers of accumulated and well-trodden
animal droppings of goats, sheep and pigs
(Hobson, 1997, p. 117).
The community reached the highest numbers and greatest prosperity towards the end of the reign of
Ramesses II (1279-1212 BC). From the end of the reign of Ramesses XI (1098-1070 BC), the Theban
area was in turmoil and the tombs in the Valley of the Kings began to be plundered. Both the
archaeological and textual evidence suggest that not later than by the early 21st dynasty, around the
years 17-18 of Ramesses XI, the community of workmen had left Deir el-Medina and moved inside the
walls of the nearby temple at Medinet Habu.

Dhutmose, scribe of the tomb, wrote to Hor, the deputy of the estate of Amun-Ra, on his visit to
Thebes:
"We heard that you have arrived and reached the town of Ne; may Amun give you a good
reception, may he do you all good things. We are dwelling here in the Mansion and you know thoroughly
our way of dwelling. But the boys of the Tomb have gone. They dwell in Ne, while I am dwelling here
alone with the scribe of the army Penthonakhte."

The mortuary temple of Ramesses III (1182-1151 BC) at Medinet Habu as seen from the western
slopes of Theban hills above Deir el-Medina
Although the former inhabitants no longer lived in the village, they used to return to visit the family
tombs and to worship at their temple of Amenhotep I. The abandoned houses were used for storage until
they decayed beyond their usefulness. It is not clear what happened to the villagers after this period,
but the site of Deir el-Medina continued to be used extensively for both religious and mortuary purposes
until as late as the 8th century AD.
The settlement's ancient name, "St-maat-hr-imenty-Wast", means "The Place of Truth, to the West of
Thebes". The ancient villagers used to refer to their settlement as "pa-demi", "the town". The modern
Arabic name Deir el-Medina, means "The Convent of the Town", is reflecting the fact, that during the
Muslim conquest of Egypt, the village's Ptolemaic temple had been converted into a Christian church.
Temples
Chapels
Tombs
Rock shrine
Huts
Collections
Back to top
The earliest example of the expression "st-maat" is in chapter 125 of the Book of the Dead, which
originated during the dynasties 13-17 (2nd Intermediate Period, about 1782-1633 BC). It reads
"I have not committed sins in the Place of Truth". The term can generally be applied to any place or
locality, which is sacred or holy ground. It was not only used within the locality of Thebes. There are
examples of the term being used at Memphis, Amarna or Abydos. The term cannot be translated with a
single expression as it has not got a single meaning. Depending on the context, the meaning of "st-maat"
covers the beyond, the cemetery, a tomb, the king's tomb or even a workshop (in Western Thebes). In
Theban documents, "st-maat" was used with the addition of "hr-imnty-Wast", meaning "to the West of
Weset" (Weset being the ancient Egyptian name for Thebes, modern Luxor). Inscriptions can be found in
both hieroglyphic and hieratic writings.
Modern houses and tourist shops at Qurna, as seen on the way to Deir el-Medina
The term "st-maat", usually translated as "the Place of Truth",
repeatedly appears in tomb inscriptions and on funerary objects like
stelae, coffins, shabtis, statues, pyramidions, on door-lintels and
door jambs and also on wide variety of small objects, originating
from the Theban necropolis, and in particular the region of Deir
el-Medina. The lesser number of objects came from other Theban
locations, the Valley of the Kings, the Valley of the Queens,
Ramesseum, Medinet Habu, Qurna and Dra abu al-Naga. A vast
group of titles, demoting employees "in the Place of Truth" has
been identified in the documents of the 19th and 20th dynasties.
"Wast" inscription
from the walls of the
Ptolemaic temple at
Deir el-Medina
"st-maat" from a
figured ostrakon
BM EA 8510
Excavations of Deir el-Medina

Throughout the 19th century objects were pillaged from the area of Deir el-Medina to supply the new
antiquities market awakened by foreign travellers visiting the ancient sites. The first antiquities gathered
by the locals around Deir el-Medina site were sold to the passing tourists in 1815. Among them was Sir
William Bankes. The collection of pieces he bought at this early stage can be seen at his Dorset family
home at Kingston Lacy. Giovanni Belzoni collected antiquities for the British consul Henry Salt at the same
time as his rival, the French consul Bernardino Drovetti, was bidding against him. Their collections were
later distributed mainly between the
British Museum in London and the Museo Egizio in Turin. John Gardner
Wilkinson, an English traveller, writer and pioneer Egyptologist, was the first one to excavate the area. In
order to record the remarkable information the tombs held, he opened several tombs there. Karl Lepsius,
a pioneering Prussian Egyptologist and linguist, also copied tomb scenes at Deir el-Medina. This inevitably
let to attention being drawn to the potential riches and illicit digging followed (Hobson, 1991, p. 116-118).
In the 1850s an archive of papyri was dug up from the family tomb of Butehamun. It included letters from
his father, the scribe Djutmose, to Butehamun and the correspondence of Piankh (around 1074-1070 BC),
sent from Nubia where he was with the army. Several other papyri, most probably from the same source,
came on to the market at the time and were bought by European travellers.
The German concession at Deir el-Medina was transferred to the French after the 1st World War. The
French began working at Deir el-Medina in 1917. In 1922 the French Institute of Oriental Archaeology
in Cairo under direction of
Bernard Bruyère started a project of systematic excavation of the entire
site - village, cemetery and pit. The Great Pit, used in ancient times as a town dump, was Bruyère's
most rewarding discovery. It contained thousands of both literary and nonliterary ostraka. Bruyère also
uncovered thirty-two religious structures (Bomann, 1991, 39). In 1925 Bruyère was looking for an
epigrapher for his excavations.
Jaroslav Černý, a Czech Egyptologist, became a member of the team.
He was the world's leading authority on several aspects of the Ramesside period, especially the hieratic
script, a cursive form of writing used on papyri and ostraka.
In 1913, Georg Möller, a German
palaeographer, lead a dig at four
locations within settlement, as part
of the Berlin Museum season at Deir
el-Medina, which was granted to
them as part of a large concession in
Western Thebes. Among his finds
were: 11 houses with their
contents, 160 hieratic and 70
figured ostraka, 10-13 tombs in the
western cemetery and 4 children's
graves in the eastern cemetery
(McDowell, 1999, 25).
From 1905 to 1909 the first
scientific excavation of the site was
undertaken by the Italian
archaeologist
Ernesto Schiaparelli.
During 1906 he excavated the
chapel of Seti I. (Bomann, 1991,
39). Many objects, including papyri
and ostraka, considerably enriched
the collections at the Museo Egizio in
Turin and the Museo Archeologico in
Florence. Turin had already acquired
a large number of objects through
the early 19th century collector and
dealer Bernardino Drovetti.
The Northern part of the valley was
excavated to the virgin ground. Among the
most significant finds was the intact 18th
dynasty
tomb of the foreman Kha and his
wife Meryt.
Between 1909-1912, É
mile Baraize was
employed by the Egyptian Antiquities Service
to carry out work on the Ptolemaic temple.
In 1912 he excavated a small chapel
situated within the northwest part of the
enclosure wall of the main Ptolemaic temple
(Bomann, 1991, 39).
In the 3rd century BC Ptolemy IV Philopater built a temple dedicated to Hathor and Maat at the
northern side of the former village, on the site of the earlier chapels and shrines and opposite the small
temple of Amun. During Christian era the temple was converted into a Coptic church. A monastery, or
deir, was established there. Deir el-Medina thus survived its shift in function from a primarily
habitational to a sacred and mortuary site.
In 1967 the IFAO gave permission to Georges Castel to continue excavations at Deir el-Medina.
Although carrying on to complete Baraize's, Schiaparelli's and Bruyère's work, he mainly focused on
excavations of Gurnet Mura'i to its north and south. Excavations by the French mission are still on going
today (Brooker, 2009, 8). Domonique Valbelle and Charles Bonnet re-investigated the site to better
understand the construction phases.
A world-wide group of scholars continues to study a wide range of topics relating to all matters concerning
Deir el-Medina.
The research group, called "Workmen's huts in the Theban mountains", started work at the site of the
workmen's huts in 2008. They will work for four field seasons, each consisting of three months.

http://www.helsinki.fi/news/archive/1-2009/28-13-42-13.html
All the photos accompanying the "History of excavation" come from the area in the southeast corner of the
main Ptolemaic temple enclosure.
During the 19th dynasty Deir el-Medina occupied an area some 132 metres long and 50 metres wide.
The houses within the enclosure wall were all built in blocks - no space was left between them and two
adjoining houses shared a wall.
In the workmen's village the house tenure was more strictly controlled - properties usually passed
from father to son along with their trades and professions. Restricted by the village limits, occupants
of the houses were not able to increase the size of their dwellings, as often happened in other places.
Some forty to fifty houses were later built outside the enclosure wall to the north among or over
earlier tombs.  
Eventually the papyri and many other objects,
made their way into the storerooms of
numerous museums to await future scholars.
Most of these discoveries were made by local
people. Huge amounts of information was lost
due to their haphazard digging.
The Great Pit

North of the Ptolemaic temple, just before the opening of the valley, lies the second largest feature of
Deir el-Medina (the first largest being the Ptolemaic temple) : an enormous pit measuring over 50 metres
deep and 30 metres wide.
To read more about the Pit click here
Food and drink at Deir el-Medina

Diet was varied, balanced and nutritious at Deir el-Medina. We have ample information, concerning
food and drink, surviving through depictions of food processing and consumption in the funerary art, and
in the form of actual food remains from funerary, religious and domestic finds.
To read more about food & drink at DeM click here
Deir el-Medina is one of the best preserved ancient settlements in the whole of
Egypt. It is situated in a small secluded valley in the shadow of the Theban hills,
on the west bank of the Nile, across from modern-day Luxor in Upper Egypt.
The text on this page was written by Lenka Peacock
Photography © Lenka and Andy Peacock
Excavation Diaries of Bernard Bruyère
from Deir el-Medina, 1922-1955, are
now available on-line at
http://www.ifao.egnet.net/bases/archives
/bruyere/about
"st-maat" from an
inscription on
Bankes stela no. 11
Kingston Lacy
Counter
The IFAO Excavations at Deir el-Medina, Cédric Gobeil's thorough examination of the archive
kept in the Institut français d’archéologie orientale (IFAO), published on Oxford Handbooks online,
details the history of the archaeological excavations and other field activities conducted by the Institute
at the site of Deir el-Medina since the early 20th century.   
A free PDF version can be read at
http://www.oxfordhandbooks.com/view/10.1093/oxfordhb/9780199935413.001.0001/oxfordhb-
9780199935413-e-32?rskey=vK0AHG&result=1