|Sennedjem's tomb no 1
at Deir el-Medina
|The tomb lies within the Western cemetery. It was discovered intact in 1886. The opening and
clearing of this intact burial place was overseen by Gaston Maspero, the head of the Antiquities
Service at the time. Twenty mummies, nine of which were in coffins and eleven only wrapped in linen,
were found inside the vaulted burial chamber which measures 5.12 m by 2.61 m, and 2.40 m high.
The tombs owner was Sennedjem, a "servant in the place of truth", who lived in the village at the
beginning of the 19th dynasty and then shared this "house of eternity" with his wife Iyinofreti, their
son Khons and daughter in-law Tamakhet and the lady Isis, wife of their second son Khabekhnet,
together with their grandchildren. Both Sennedjem and his wife lived well into an old age. Iyinofreti's
mummy, now in the Metropolitan Museum in New York, is that of a woman of approximately 75.
|Sennedjem's house lies in the south-western corner of the settlement. It neighbours a
house of his son Khabekhnet.
|To view and browse the digitised version of The Topographical Bibliography of Ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphic
Texts, Statues, Reliefs and Paintings, (also known as Porter & Moss or TopBib) for this tomb, go to
Material for the Bibliography is gathered from an ever-expanding range of multi-lingual sources,
encompassing both specialist and semi-popular Egyptological and Near Eastern publications, periodicals,
museum guides, exhibition and auction catalogues, together with the growing wealth of web resources. The
Bibliography also analyses a range of unpublished manuscripts, including those housed in the Griffith Institute
Archive. Published in May 2014 by the Griffith Institute, University of Oxford, the volumes are constantly
revised and augmented.